Ancient city of Petra, Jordan
Carved into the cliff faces are hundreds of monuments temples and tombs. It was established as the capital city of the Nabataeans around 600 BC. The site remained unknown to the Western world until 1812, when it was introduced by Swiss explorer Johann Ludwig Burckhardt. It was described as “a rose-red city half as old as time”.